Taming your hair to get that trendy straightened hair look might not be as easy as some might think. Still, you don’t have to use a flat iron every single time you need that look. Using hair straightening creams provides you not only a safer option, but it will also have your hair perfectly straightened out, looking smooth, giving it that attractive shine.
Here, we would be reviewing the best hair straightening creams suitable for different hair types; for curly hair, for black hair, for frizzy hair, and other hair types so your type of hair won’t be left out.
- 1 What Is a Hair Straightening Cream?
- 2 Reviews of The Best Hair Straightening Cream
- 2.1 Bumble and Bumble Bb Straight Blow Dry Balm
- 2.2 Matrix style Link Chill Boho Smoothing Air-Dry Cream<
- 2.3 Giovanni Straight Fast Straightening Elixir
- 2.4 Tigi Bed Head Straightening Cream for Unisex
- 2.5 John Frieda Frizz Ease Straight Fixation Styling Creme
- 2.6 CHI Straight Guard Smoothing Styling Cream
- 2.7 Brazilian Blowout Thermal Straightening Balm
- 2.8 Straight silk spray with Moroccan Argan oil
- 2.9 Paul Mitchell Straight Works
- 3 The Best Hair Straightening Cream Buying Guide
- 4 How to use a Hair straightening cream?
- 5 Final Words
What Is a Hair Straightening Cream?
Hair straightening creams have rapidly become the rising star of straight hair fashion. As its name suggests, its main purpose is to instantly straighten your hair, without using a flat iron.
For you, who do not have naturally straight hair and want the sleek, straight hair without subjecting your hair to unhealthy amounts of heat, which can damage your hair, straightening cream is the best way to go. It is important to choose the right product. You don’t have to worry, we understand that there is a tendency for information overload which could leave you confused and unsure.
Look no further, we have provided below, the best hair straightening creams in the market and how to use them. You would find the best one that suits your hair type and would give you a straight, healthy-looking hair.
Reviews of The Best Hair Straightening Cream
Here are some of our handpicked suggestions for the best hair straightening creams out there:
Model Bumble and Bumble Bb Straight Blow Dry Balm Matrix style Link Chill Boho Smoothing Air-Dry Cream Giovanni Straight Fast Straightening Elixir Tigi Bed Head Straightening Cream for Unisex John Frieda Frizz Ease Straight Fixation Styling Creme CHI Straight Guard Smoothing Styling Cream Brazilian Blowout Thermal Straightening Balm Straight silk spray with Moroccan Argan oil Paul Mitchell Straight Works
This amazing styling balm is recommended as one of the best straightening creams in the market, that will help straighten your hair, smoothen them, and protect them from heat during styling. It is suitable for all hair types, including dyed hair.
The Bumble and Bumble Bb Straight Blow Dry Balm you can achieve frizz-free with a radiant luster look, that lasts up to 3 days. Its keratin treatment and humectant make its effects last longer.
Most reviewers appreciated the length of time they could go on using this product and liked that it does not need flat ironing to complement it.
- Ensures frizz-free hair.
- Has a nice scent.
- Does not make the hair greasy.
- Smooths and softens the hair.
- It is quite expensive.
It is suitable for all hair types; curly hair, black hair, and makes use of polymer technology to deal with frizz. All you need is a damp hair, no heat needed. Just apply the product, leave to air dry and you are ready to go.
Most reviewers noted that it works better for thinner hair and it is a go-to hair straightening cream when looking for a quick straight hair fix.
- It does not leave the hair looking greasy.
- Can be used on dyed hair.
- Great smell.
- Does not smoothen all the frizz for really thick hair.
- Quite expensive.
Giovanni Straightening Elixir is a natural organic product that tames the unruliest hair. It is available in 4Fl Oz and 6.8Fl Oz and comes in a beautiful tube packaging. Its formulation promises smooth curls and relaxed waves, giving your hair a straightened look.
It boasts of lightweight crystal gel formulation that does not weigh your hair down when applied. The natural botanicals rejuvenate your hair and give it the ultimate shine.
It is suitable for dyed hair, although, it may require a blow-dryer for its full effect. Many reviewers loved that it worked for their thick hair, moisturizes the hair, and left their hair feeling soft and silky.
- Effectively tames frizzy hair.
- It adds shine to your hair.
- It tackles frizz.
- Paraben and cruelty free.
- Quite expensive.
- Hard to wash off.
- Not suitable for fine hair.
This product is a less expensive alternative to temporarily straightening your hair. The best part is that it doesn’t wear out even in as much as 98% high humidity. It comes in a 4.0 Fl. oz. plastic bottle and helps enhance the texture of your hair making it smoother.
For the desired effects to surface, blow-drying is required after application. It is perfect for natural hair. However, most reviewers noted that it does not provide heat protection hence, there’s a need to apply heat products with it.
- It keeps hair smooth and shiny.
- Very little product needed.
- Very affordable.
This product helps hydrate and smoothen your hair, keeping it straight. It lasts up to 24 hours. It is a 5 OZ straightening cream that contains keratin, sweet almond oil, and coconut oil to help in conditioning your hair.
This John Frieda straightening cream is very affordable and it provides heat protection that promises efficiency without weighing your hair down. However, requires blow-drying after application.
Most reviewers noted that it was not so good for brittle hair and if used when hair is dry, the effects are not seen.
- Gives off a shiny, sleek, and smooth look.
- Provides heat protection.
- Great for curly and coarse thick hair.
- Efficient at controlling frizz.
- Affordable price.
- Can make the hair feel a bit sticky.
- Might require blow-drying after application.
If you’re looking for a hair straightening cream that will help smooth your frizzy edges and allows you to style your hair perfectly, this product is a must-have. It is an 8.5FL Oz and it comes in a plastic press-on bottle which makes it so easy to use.
The CHI Straight Guard Smoothing Styling Cream is less expensive than most hair straightening creams and does not require blow-drying or flat irons for its efficiency. It utilizes the easy brush glade formula and ionic & catatonic interlink technology which helps in easy styling, heat protection, adding volume to your hair, strengthening your hair, and moisturizing.
Most reviewers loved that it was easy to use, good for wavy hair, and straightened the hair in one application but hated the sticky after-effects.
- Great thermal protectant.
- Protects against breakage.
- Smells good.
- Might weigh down the hair.
- It can be quite sticky.
Asides from being one of the best hair straightening cream for curly hair and natural black hair, this 8 Oz Brazilian blowout cream features a unique humidity resistant formula that helps straighten frizz.
It has a super-nutrient complex that acts as a protective layer on the hair shaft to help strengthen and smooths the hair cuticle. Along with its heat-activated treatment, it locks moisture in and protects your hair from heat during styling giving your hair a radiant shine.
Most reviewers loved that it lasted longer than most hair straighteners, even with the small amount applied to the hair. However, some found it to leave their hair feeling sticky and greasy after application.
- Controls humidity.
- Provides your hair with heat protection.
- It has a nice scent.
- A bit pricey.
- Might not suit for those with thick curls.
This product is amazing for curly hair, natural hair and is one of the best hair straightening creams for black hair. Its protective properties span across heat and humidity while it adds shine to your hair.
It contains distilled water instead of alcohol which makes it less flammable and contains minimal synthetic ingredients that get the job of smoothing your hair done, whilst making it environmentally friendly.
Most reviewers loved the all-natural properties of the product, however, has been noted by some to leave their hair feeling dry after use.
- Doesn’t smell so great.
- Might not suit those with dyed hair.
- You may still need to use a flat iron.
It comes in the form of a gel and contains 6.8 oz. of active ingredients all ready to smoothen your mane. This salon-quality hair straightening cream is best for black hair, frizzy, curly hair, and is great at detangling too.
It has a lightweight formula, contains humectants and conditioner which leaves your hair easier to style and softer than before.
Most reviewers praised it for its ability to make the shine and loved that it reduced shrinkage.
- Perfect for detangling hair.
- It gives the hair a softer look.
- Effective on thick, curly and black hair.
- Might leave the hair feeling a bit greasy.
The Best Hair Straightening Cream Buying Guide
How Can I Choose the Best Hair Straightening Cream?
It can be quite tough trying to find the best hair straightening cream. We all have different hair types and their reactions to straightening cream products vary. You can’t have thick black hair and use a product designed for thin black hair. Knowing the type of hair you have, will help you make great, healthy choices.
Depending on your needs and what you want your product to do for you; for example, if you want more shine in your hair, go for products that would do just that. If it is softness or moisturizing or heat protection, get the right products!
For color-treated hair, thin hair, weak hair, damaged hair, it is important to be extra careful when picking products. Purchasing a product with anti-breakage properties should be top on your priority list.
Checking the ingredients of your straightening cream is equally important, as it helps you know how effective a product is and if you are allergic to a certain ingredient. Natural ingredients are also important as they promote healthy hair.
Going through reviews of people online with similar hair types, family, and friends, your hairdresser or stylist would also help you make the right choice.
When investing in the right hair straightening cream, it is also pertinent that you get it from a credible source, so as to get your money’s worth.
What are The Benefits of Using a Hair Straightening Cream
The major advantage of straightening cream is that it takes care of the frizz and curls giving your hair a straight, smooth, sleek, and shiny look, without regularly having to use a flat iron. There’s no need for frequent visits to hairstylists. You could easily apply it in the comfort of your home.
It hydrates your hair, moisturizes, and softens the hair. Some contain heat protectants that promote hair health as opposed to the use of flat irons, which often causes hair breakage and leads to damaged hair.
What to Look Out for When Buying a Hair Straightening Cream?
Products can be discerned by their unique ingredients. The best hair straightening cream for thick black curly hair may not be the best for thin black curly hair due to their individual components. For example, if you have slightly wavy hair, using a mild cream such as Bumble and Bumble Bb Straight Blow Dry Balm can provide you with the desired silky smooth effect.
On the other hand, for black hair, Bumble and Bumble Bb Straight Blow Dry Balm are sufficient to provide all that is needed for a flawless straightened hair look.
Important ingredients to look out for when buying a hair straightening cream include:
- Keratin protein which adds to your hair’s elasticity ensuring, it retains the straightened effect for much longer.
- Cyclopentasiloxane for quick evaporations and keeps hair color
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein for making the shafts stronger and smoother
- Cetrimonium Chloride and Phenoxyethanol to prevent the microorganisms from colonizing your hair
- Acrylic Acid/VP Cross-polymer for a balanced overall moisture level.
- Argan Oil or Aloe Vera Extract for nourishment, shine, and frizz-fighting
- Dimethicone for heat protection.
How to use a Hair straightening cream?
- The first step is to read the instructions on the label and follow them. Some products indicate for damp hair application whilst, some require dry hair.
- Observe safety procedures. Most products require use in a well-ventilated place because, some possess strong ammonia smalls, strong fragrances, which may be harmful to the user when exposed to copious amounts.
- Clean your hair before the application of the cream. Wash your hair with a shampoo before applying the cream. When you are done with that, scrunch up your hair in a clean microfiber towel and remove all the water from it. Your hair should be damp and prepared for the cream if indicated on the instruction. Brush your hair lightly and detangle carefully.
- A little amount of cream should be put on your palm, then starting from the head and spread the product to the tips of your hair, rub the product evenly. Using a shampoo brush would help with the even spread.
- Start sectioning your hairs 3 or more sections and secure them with pins. Starting with the lowest part of the section, start blow-drying. As you blow-dry, use a comb or a hairbrush towards the tips of the hair. Since the cream is heat activated, your hair would straighten as heat falls on it, removing all the frizz and waves from the hair and make them get the shape you desire.
- Blow-dry until your hair is completely dry. Do the same for the rest of the sections.
After assessing the products above, we consider Bumble and Bumble Bb Straight Blow Dry Balm to be the most preferred over others.
Unlike other products, its amazing unique components gives the hair a softer, smoother, and an attractive shine. It makes the hair easy to style and gives a radiant look. in addition, Bumble and Bumble Bb Straight Blow Dry Balm has heat protection and humidity control ingredients, that helps to protect the hair, and it works for a wide variety of hair types and offers great value for money.
It is important to know the best hair straightening cream for your hair type, how to use it, and when to use it, to avoid dissatisfaction and damage to your hair. Haircare is self-care and you are worth every bit of it!